When suffering does not destroy you, even though you have been to the edge of the abyss, you know something that you cannot know in any other way. Someone else is sustaining you. You are indeed living by a life not your own. Or as I love to say, "Your life is not about you." It is henceforth, most truly, about God. And you are merely "free sample" of what God has always been doing. - Quote from Richard Rohr

October 09, 2006

Date Log 10/9/06: God Moments II

As I put paper to pencil, or in this case, keyboard to blog; I don't want you to think "poor Renee" or "oh Renee :(" as I share the following. I'll share and then I'll explain my purpose.

Dr. Duvic wrote that MF was one of the most disfiguring diseases known to man. Well I can attest to that. In the last 2 months I've been called Keith's (my husband who is, granted, 3 years younger than me) mother by someone who was just guessing and offered the senior discount which was for 55 and older; and this:

My oldest son, Luke, who is slightly autistic, was holding hands with me yesterday. When I grabbed his hand, he went, "ewww" and looked at my hand. I said, "Does this bother you?" He replied, "Yes, I will pray that you will not be such a revolting woman."

I share this with you, especially those of you with family who have this cancer, that this cancer isn't always "detected" by weight loss, hair loss, or other visible changes we've come to think of as "that person looks as if they have/had cancer." However, it can in some ways be more devasting, because it is there, hidden in a way. If you know human nature you know that we don't really "look" at each other. However, I'm constantly reminded I have a strange disease. If it's not someone offering me the senior discount; it's someone asking me "Where did you get that tan?" (not such a bad question).

I've spoken with others who have this cancer and a common comment is "Oh you look fine, you must not be sick anymore!" Good news is that most people die "with MF" rather than "from MF". However, we still have cancer. A cancer that can't be cured with conventional medicine. A cancer that can't be stopped or arrested by cutting something out and having 8 rounds of chemo. It is time-consuming, ever present, costly, irritating, frustrating, vexing... ok, you get the idea. But, I say and again I say God is STILL GOOD. He is GOOD all the time. And it is only by His grace that I'm able to live and endure!

But, here is the really good news! When Keith was holding my hand this morning, he said "I think your hand feels smoother." The prayers of a child go straight to the heart of God and He listens. I for one am glad my son is praying "that I won't be such a revolting woman." I know God listens!!!

No comments: