When suffering does not destroy you, even though you have been to the edge of the abyss, you know something that you cannot know in any other way. Someone else is sustaining you. You are indeed living by a life not your own. Or as I love to say, "Your life is not about you." It is henceforth, most truly, about God. And you are merely "free sample" of what God has always been doing. - Quote from Richard Rohr

October 17, 2006

Date Log: 10/16/06 While on my way to Houston...


Well, dear friends, I said I'd report what the good drs. said about my response to the BCX-1777. Well I never made it to Houston. Instead I spent my morning dealing with that! See the picture! I had just left Austin city limits and was at a red light in Manor, (pronounced may-nor... not like man-or) TX. As the light changed green, I heard a siren. I looked in my rear-view mirror, saw a black truck behind me and then on the cross street a police car screaming thru the intersection. So I stayed stopped even though the light was green, again checking behind me to make sure the guy (Frank was his name) in the truck behind me was "tracking" with me! And as I found out later, Frank's son is a policeman with Manor police department, so Frank was the "required" 10-12 feet behind me and he was staying put! Suddenly, BAM! I jumped out of my car and this young kid comes racing up to me cussing wildly. He kept saying the "s" word and exclaiming "I'm going to jail." This young man, let's just call him D ;), was driving a Runner 4x4 with the huge black grill in front and jacked up pretty high. The pickup truck behind me had been pushed into me when D hit him. Frank told me they had just picked up several bags of cement. I think that might have saved both of us... the bags of cement took the impact for us. Frank's truck bed was smashed in about 6 feet and pushed down so the bed of the truck was dragging. As I said, the 4x4 runner was jacked up pretty high. I think if D had hit me, I would have his truck in my backseat. So God was already watching over us.

And Houston? Well Houston was flooding so bad they weren't running bus service for the children to go to school. So it worked out, kinda sorta of, good that I didn't venture down there.


D suggested we move off the highway. Frank said no, let's stay to wait for the police however D said, "No I did it, I hit ya'll (that Texan for you for those of you in the North). So I got back in my car with the bumper hanging by a thread (the picture was taken after the bumper was removed and the trunk was tied down with a coat hanger!) and moved over into a parking lot.

A fire truck came and checked on us. As I was looking around I was counting six cars and 6 men and me. As it turned out the next lane over also had a 3 car pileup too! It was pouring down rain; we're all on our cells phones... I guess you can't get electrical shock doing that, and D kept saying "s" I'm going to jail. Two policemen show up and they figure out we have 2 different wrecks happening in the same way. A young man in a Toyota pickup truck hit the 2 cars next to me. One was a rental car (and YES the guy did take all the full insurance on it... which is a good thing because there back window was totally gone and it was smashed pretty bad, but not as bad as mine.) the front car in that wreck was a Volvo. It had a little scratch on the bumper! Where were the cameras, we needed to make a commercial then and there! It is the safer vehicle!


So the 2 policeman are talking and one policeman said, Ok you take the north lane with my dad and I'll take the south lane. His dad, Frank, was in the car that was pushed into me! So the policeman asked for our driver's licensees and insurance card. I'm standing next to D and the policeman asked for his insurance and license. He handed him his insurance card and said he didn't have his license on him. By this time it's pouring down rain... my tennis shoes are still wet as I write this 12 hours later. The police tell us we can go wait in our cars until he is ready to get our statements.

I'm sitting in my car talking on the phone with my boss, when I see them put handcuffs on D and start patting him down. I think this is a little odd. Next thing I see, a policeman has stepped in the bed of D's pickup truck and has opened that metal box a lot of pickup trucks have. Next I see him pull out a gun. A big gun. No, not like a rifle, but as a policeman told me later a 9mm Glock! I'm not really shocked, this is Texas after all. Next the policeman is holding up one of those gallon Ziploc baggie filled with Marijuana! I think to myself, oh yea, you're going to jail. I believe, even in Texas Glocks are illegal unless you are FBI. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. You know the funny thing about the Glock... I love to listen to murder mysteries while driving back and forth from Austin to Houston, and just the other day I asked a cop at MD Anderson, "Is that a Glock?" Because I really wanted to see one. Turned out it was his Tazer. We in Austin know a lot about Tazers! A bit later, I see a policeman standing next to one of those huge coolers from D's truck that just so happens to be filled with ice cold beer. The cop is pouring out all the beer. As I walk by one spews all over his pants!

My neck starts hurting so I grab my Advil usually reserved for my cut feet and down 3 with my water bottle. Then I think well maybe some of these other guys need some Advil. So I start passing out Advil. One guy from the south lane wreck, takes 2 and grabs my water bottle and drinks down. My how a car wreck can bring folks together. The other 2 guys in that lane decline my offer and my water bottle, thank heavens! I go over to the Frank and offer him some Advil and his companion. He takes 2 and tells me 3 months ago he had open heart surgery and currently has stitches in his neck down his back. So I offer to pray for him, which he lets me.

Finally a cop brings me back my driver's license and insurance card. I get information on D's insurance which just so happens to be Progressive! When I was talking to them later that day I said "You know your reputation has preceded you!"

Ok, get this... the insurance agent tells me we can't do anything about my car until he can talk to D. Which, he continues, he understands is in jail. But, the insurance agent has talked to D's mom and she assures him that D will be out of jail soon. Ok, the guy has drugs, he's carrying a gun, he has cooler (big cooler) filled with beer and now he's lying to his mama???

Tuesday, October 17, 2006:
So today my mom takes me to Houston, tomorrow I deal with the insurance (hopefully if D has given his statement yet) probably all day. Wow what a start to my week.

Oh yea, I'm not real sore this morning. But ever once in a while I feel a really sharp pain in my neck. Maybe it's just this all is a pain in my neck! But, hey my itching is better. Not sure if that was due to the fact that I fell asleep with my wraps on for 3 hours or I was so distracted about all the above!

P.S. for some reason I can't get the picture of my smashed car to show up. But trust me, it's smashed - ;) - R

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, the Lord looks after His saints. I thank the Lord that you are Okay, Renee. You remain a project. Hang in there. Harry