When suffering does not destroy you, even though you have been to the edge of the abyss, you know something that you cannot know in any other way. Someone else is sustaining you. You are indeed living by a life not your own. Or as I love to say, "Your life is not about you." It is henceforth, most truly, about God. And you are merely "free sample" of what God has always been doing. - Quote from Richard Rohr

October 04, 2006

Date Log: 10/3/06: Week 1 of New Drug Study

28 Vials!

On day one of the new drug study I was to have oh probably about 12 vials taken. But, wait, as I was getting ready for my first blood draw, Carol, the drug study coordinator, asked if they could take extra blood for another drug study. This one would just use my blood to begin testing some new drug they are working on. "Sure, why not?" I reply. I'm always willing to be a pin cushion in the name of science. So that added about 7 vials. Then, because I was not feeling really well, Dr. Duvic decided they needed to run a blood culture on me. That was another 5 or so vials. Then she decided she wanted a flow cymtery on me too... so that was another 6 vials. I think by 2pm that day I had given 18 vials. I began feeling sort of light headed since Keith and I were waiting to eat later that day. I grabbed some graham crackers and water and felt better.

The next day, I went in for my 11:30 a.m. blood draw and dose. They then told me that Dr. Duvic wanted a biopsy. When I asked Linda, who draws my blood, where?, she said in a room. In a room??? No, where on my body! So now I have had 30 vials of blood drawn, on 3 anti-biotics due to 2 infections and one just because and a hunk of my skin taken away.

Oh yes, I forgot, I got to collect all my urine for 24 hours. Anyone ever need to know where the nice bathrooms are at Clark Clinic (MD Anderson) just ask!

So far I can't tell anything. There is some really good news... I''m not pregnant! Whew... just one of those viles, I mean vials they took. So good to have medical confirmation that I'm not pregnant! The other good news, though not quite as exciting, is that I'm on the highest dose of the study medication. I take 3 pills all at once at about 11:30 a.m. everyday. This is wonderful, wonderful news because this means when I drive down on Mondays and Thursdays I don't have to be at MDA until 11:30 a.m. It is 2 hours and 48 minutes from our door to MDA. So just pray I can get out our door by 8:00 a.m. But as my feet are getting better, it only took me about 15 minutes today to get them ready for shoe wear rather than the 45 minutes I've been spending. So hopefully by next week I'll be down to about 10 minutes and that's it! Also, this $30.00 a week for bandaids is getting a little ridiculous. (I use the blister band aids, which really work good when they stay on, but because my body is enriched with lotions for the past year, things like band aids won't stick. So while I'm putting on one band aid, I'm trying to hold the one I just put on on (got that?) . Sometimes I feel like a dog chasing their tail. One falls off, I stop to fix it, the other falls off... yes it's a comedy of errors!

So I'm still itching and flaking... actually I'm itching, I think, more... but that could be because of the anti-biotics I'm on. Just a couple more days and I'll be off all but one! Not much else to report today, but check back weekly for updates if you wish!

No comments: