When suffering does not destroy you, even though you have been to the edge of the abyss, you know something that you cannot know in any other way. Someone else is sustaining you. You are indeed living by a life not your own. Or as I love to say, "Your life is not about you." It is henceforth, most truly, about God. And you are merely "free sample" of what God has always been doing. - Quote from Richard Rohr

December 02, 2006

Candida... My acupuncturist finally was right

I stopped the Amoxcillian yesterday and did not wake up last night in a frenzy of wild itching. However, when I called the good docs at MD Anderson, Dr. Vu told me I had Candida in my throat. And I bet I've got it all over my body. Here is some information about Candida.

Ok, let's skip to the chase... here is one guy's list:
The Third Stage of Candida Symptoms may involve MENTAL and BEHAVIORAL RESPONSES: Inability to concentrate, not being able to read or follow a television program or carry on a hobby, serious forgetfulness, memory loss, mental confusion, not being able to think of the words to say something, switching around of words and letters when trying to speak and/or write something,

Uh, I think that might apply to me.

Oh my read this... I've been on a sweet tooth rage now for weeks:

Yeast may overgrow when antibiotics, medications, drugs, birth control and hormone pills, and steroids (such as Prednisone and Cortisone) are taken. These medications tend to kill the good bacteria in addition to the bad bacteria that caused the present illness. This allows the yeast to reign freely until our Immune System beats it back once again. (note from me: What immune system?)

The typical modern diet facilitates the problem. Refined sugars and high starch/carbohydrate foods give the yeast exactly what it needs to flourish. (This is why we add sugar or honey to the yeast when we make bread! This is also why so many people CRAVE sweets and breads just as badly as an alcoholic craves alcohol--the yeast is screaming for fuel to keep ever growing!)

Another factor allowing yeast overgrowth is STRESS. Stress depresses or even shuts down the Immune System. It is noted that following a great stress (such as the loss of a mate) a person is more than likely to become seriously ill within the next year, as a result of that stress on the body.

I do believe I'm under a little stress. And since I've been on anti-biotics now for 18 months... well my body is probably a ripe ground for Candida.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better ow. I hate amoxicillian (sp) I've taken it in the past and have got an upset stomache and a few other things that I wont share with you. Anyhow, I hope you are feeling better, you are in my prayers.

Carmen