When suffering does not destroy you, even though you have been to the edge of the abyss, you know something that you cannot know in any other way. Someone else is sustaining you. You are indeed living by a life not your own. Or as I love to say, "Your life is not about you." It is henceforth, most truly, about God. And you are merely "free sample" of what God has always been doing. - Quote from Richard Rohr

January 08, 2006

Dr. Duvic's Notes from 12/7 and the B Word

So I get this note from Dr. Duvic and she says in it that I'm in partial remission. Wow! That was the first time I had heard that! And my CD4 cells have dropped from 4,489 (11/1) to 1,979 (11/16). This is good. You don't want CD4 cells. They are bad cells. So things are looking up, right?

Well, I go to my December 27th appointment and after waiting 4 hours for my 11:30 a.m. appointment, Dr. Duvic rushes in and begins examining me. While she is looking me over, she suddenly says, "Have I asked you about your brothers and sisters?" I think hmmm, why is she asking me that? "No," I say, "and besides, I'm adopted." Then she asks if she's talked to me about a bone marrow transplant. ...You know those commercials where they are showing a scene or something and suddenly you hear a screech and the scene freezes... yea, well, that's what it was like for me.

So, what does this mean? I'm not sure. The Polaroid snapshot is something like this:
  1. 8 weeks of Skin radiation. Side affect? Makes the skin dry. Solution: have it done in Houston during the summer when there is lots of humidity. (BTW, when I asked Dr. Duvic if I couldn't have it done in Austin, she looks up at me w/this droll look on her face and says, "I wouldn't. It's very complicated procedure."

  2. 2 weeks of chemotherapy. Yep the throwing up, infection causing kind. Upside? Maybe lose some more weight? (I'm just trying to look on the bright side)

  3. Then finally about 100 days of isolation. The downside? This is when infection is most likely. The upside? Think how many books I'll be able read and movies watched.


Seriously, I'm not taking this lightly at all. But I am weighing a year's worth of treatment vs. who knows how many years.

I met a woman in the waiting room that's been coming for treatment since 1998. It's a lot to think and pray about, and I invite you to pray with me seeking the Lord to give me and my family wisdom if this will be the right thing for me to do. Of course if God just wants to heal me right now, that's fine, too! ;). But the BMT might be His avenue of healing. It's in His hands, I continue to proclaim He is a GOOD God. So I trust whatever happens He's done what's best overall.

So this week I'm meeting a Dr. on the BMT team and the BMT team (and here's some good news, it turns out that the BMT team at MD Anderson and Dr. Duvic have done more transplants world-wide than any other drs.)

I'll try and not wait so long to report back what I learn this week!

No comments: